Friday, March 9, 2012

Blast From the Past

My wife was cleaning out the store room in the carport and found some photographs that we didn't realize were not stored inside the house, either in the office or some other storage place. I thought I would share some of them.

The first ones are from Brown Canyon, southeast of Tucson where I ran cattle with my friend Kip Ripley(see blog entry of 7 April 2011). The photo below shows the ranch loading chute and pens. Baboquivari mountain is framed by the chute. My chaps and bridle are hanging on the chute; my saddle is resting on a log. I had wanted to use this photo when I wrote about chaps(see blog of 26 November 2011), but thought it was a slide and couldn't find it or anything like it anywhere. I told you us cowboys aint too bright.



The next one shows the gate into the middle part of the ranch. There were three parts to the ranch --the first was to the east, next to the highway, the second in the middle where the house was, and the third or upper part furthest west and had the top of Baboquivari as the western border.



The next photo shows the wash that runs from up the canyon below Baboquivari down through the middle portion of the ranch. This photo was taken in November, so there is some color present.



This windmill is near the loading chute shown in the first photo. It provided a good supply of water.



This is the house that came with the place. It looks comfy but I never spent any time in it so I don't really know.



This grave is on the place in the middle part as I remember. I have no idea who John was. I assume it is a real grave, because it would be a helluva lot of work for a joke.



These photos were on a single roll of color print film, Kodacolor X. They were shot in 1973; Kodacolor X was discontinued in 1974. Fortunately the negatives were with the small prints that had been made by the processing lab. Those prints were so faded as to be almost unrecognizable. The photos shown here were made by scanning the negatives on a 35mm film scanner, a Konica Minolta Dimage Elite 5400II.
The camera was my first 35mm SLR, a Mamiya Sekor 1000 DTL. I very rarely used color print film, and why I did for this trip I have no clue. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I will share the others we found in another blog entry. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Nice photos! Looks like a beautiful ranch. I am glad you found the photos and negative because I really like them. Cheryl-the sweet young thing.

    ReplyDelete